Thursday, October 26, 2006


What does "aspiring to simplicity" actually mean?

Well, it meant the whole thing I wrote before Hubby crashed the computer and lost it...

It means I must consciously make decisions towards simplicity in my daily life. Uncomplication. It means not being absorbed by the latest tv drama or Hollywood fashions. It means I must take responsibility for myself and my family. It doesn't mean I'm giving up electricity or never shopping at costco again.

But it can seem paradoxical. We might think it is simple to pick up a dozen eggs at the store. But for me right now, raising chicks to have laying hens while I teach my girls about responsibility, nutrition, caretaking, creation, God, and biology is simpler. Fighting traffic, tired kids, carseats, parking lots, long grocery lines, tired kids, carseats, parking lots, and traffic is not simple. It does not afford as much time of teaching and parenting as raising these chickens does. And I think I will be a better mother for reducing my traffic-fighting time.

This blog will serve to keep record of the projects we are undertaking for this purpose. I hope we who read it are blessed.

2 comments:

abbiegavie said...

I really agree with you on this. By the way, I am Tanya's sister, Jodi. I was pointed to you blog by her and I am excited to read!!

EllaJac said...

Hi Jodi; welcome. I hope you find your time reading about our antics (we really do try to simplify...) is time well spent. I admit; I'm jealous... I don't have a sister! You and Tanya are blessed. If you live near enough perhaps she will invite you over when she attempts the homemade mayo...