Thursday, May 24, 2007

Catching Bugs

Today is supposed to be town day, but we're not in town. The girls traded in catching insect bugs for catching viral bugs, and they are kindly taking turns being down with it. Tuesday morning we had to toss the kids from bed to car very early, as to take Daddy to work (he drives his service truck, but can't bring it home if he takes his own vehicle - and the service truck had been worked on). It's a good 30 minute drive through farmland, mostly, but in the one stretch of curves and hills my oldest got sick enough to throw up a bit. Daddy was worried he'd be late, and our nice little car can corner quite well... Little Monkey also got a bit sick before we arrived, and I went in to get them some water while Hubby unloaded his work stuff. I drove home as carefully as I could, but Big Sister got sick again along the way.

Once home, I gave them some time to recover, and made their breakfast. Little Monkey perked up fairly quickly, but not so the other one. I admonished her several times, "carsick isn't sick. Carsick is because your body didn't like moving around like that. You'll be fine." Eventually I bothered to notice that her cheeks were flushed and she had a fever. Another Mother-Of-The-Year moment, to be sure. She didn't eat much that day, and mostly lay around the house.

Yesterday she started off pretty slowly, but some friends stopped by and by then she was pretty well recovered. It's hard to keep a 5-year-old quiet and calm when there are friends to help terrorize yellow jackets and to show off to. But by the evening Little Monkey was crying about everything, and by the time I had her bathed and in her jammies, I could tell she was under it. She was up last night to go potty and once to be sick. Her appetite is better than her sister's was (usually is!), but she's keeping a pretty low profile today. Hence, we are not in town.

I made oatmeal cake this morning for breakfast. I topped it with (raw) whipped cream, sweetened with maple syrup, and STILL Big Sister complained of the cream smelling like "cows". It wasn't soured at all. I don't know how she can equate fresh cream with cows so well; she hasn't even been very close to cows that I can think of. And I know the cream doesn't smell like the confinement dairies around here!

Here's the recipe for the Oatmeal Cake (baked oatmeal) since I can't seem to find it online where I SWEAR it used to be...

Oatmeal Cake:
The night before, mix the following in a bowl:
3 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk (gotta get those nasty phytates out!)
1 c. melted butter
3/4-1 c. sucanat (or honey, if you like)
1 t. cinnamon

cover and set on the counter

in the morning:
Add:
2 beaten eggs
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2-1 c. raisins, nuts, etc. I like to grate a granny smith apple in it.

Spread in greased 11 x 7 pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. You can serve it with yogurt, milk, whipped cream, whatever.

Now, I double this at least, and it fits well in a large pyrex pan... 10 x 15" maybe? Larger than the standard 9 x 13 one. It is just so darn delicious!

Well, I better get to some of the Friday chores, though after being up with Little Monkey I can't say I much feel like it. Maybe I'll work on the garden, though even the soaker hoses blew awry these last few days...

No comments: