Tuesday, September 30, 2008

That's What I'm Talkin' About...

Have I mentioned my deep anguish over my not-yet-ripe tomato crop? Oh, I have? And that I pray over the plants, and wring my hands and gnash my teeth?

Oh. Sorry.

Well, the weather's been incredible. I've not mentioned it because every time I do it goes to heck, but it really has been fabulous. I've cut the water off, I've taken a pitchfork to the roots, and things are starting to come along.

Here's today's pick:

Obviously not all are ripe (few are), but I pick them that way and ripen them indoors, where I can keep an eye on them. Otherwise, they'll ripen and then rot or split or otherwise vex me when I'm not looking.

These are what I've been waiting for. They're a handful, each. My first this size weighed about 20 oz (1.25 lbs) and these are that or more. Ah, do you smell lasagna?


And so you ladies can sleep at night... Look, proof not everything around here is mutant:

Organique bit into no less than four, and fighting the hens off while taking these pictures was some work, but we did it. Now to leave them alone long enough to actually get them in the freezer...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Pretty and huge! Definitely worth the wait :)