Our cousin, the one who had Baby #4 exactly 8 years from Baby #3 (I think that's so cool), had a baby shower a couple weeks earlier. The day before the shower, I figured I better think up something quick. They'd been given a TON of used-but-nice clothes, and I didn't have the time or money (Hubby wasn't working but 10 hours/week) to go shopping, so I brainstormed and dug through the sewing room. I snag this fine quilter's cotton (normally $15/yd or so!) when it hits the clearance section... and then goes 50% off that. Usually I pay about $2.50/yd, which is my max for yardage price.
I managed to get it almost entirely done.. and then reached for the blanket binding I'd picked out of the box to match... and discovered it wasn't double-fold bias binding at all, but single-fold! That would NOT work! But I couldn't run to town, then back, finish, then run back to town again for the shower, so I bagged it with unfinished edges, and planned to "show" it to her, then pick up binding and complete it by the next day. This I did, and it worked out nicely.
I didn't measure or follow much of a plan. My top ended up wider than the back, so I improvised. I think I like it better this way anyhow.
I am also hopelessly addicted to the darling little color dots in the selvedge.
I attached the binding in leaves-stitch, but added a few surprise elements here and there.
Now, someone threaten me so I can make one for (our) Baby!