Friday, June 15, 2007

MOTH stuff

Not the flighty, addicted-to-flame kind, but the acronym for Managers of Their Homes. It's a book I got at a recent homeschool convention. It's a really good book. I mean really. Maybe even necessary. Ok, maybe not necessary for everyone, but probably beneficial for everyone. It's a scheduling how-to geared toward the Christian, homeschooling family. If you're single, or have no kids, you don't need it. And you have no idea how crazy life can get trying to manage a home, educate your children, and raise them up in Christ. And I only have two kids! Well, 2.6, really. There are moms whose schedules were put into the book as examples that have like 8 kids (and the oldest is 9) or something. Whew! It's not just about keeping them dressed and fed (though that is not a simple task either). It's about seeking God's heart for the training up of those he's entrusted to you. And then carrying that out.

Something I love from this book is a line that goes something like, "There IS enough time in the day for you to accomplish all God has called you to." How many of us say so often that there 'just aren't enough hours' in a day? Seems like it, sometimes, huh? I guess that's a lack of faith (and/or a lack of discipline) then. Realizing that God doesn't ask us to do the impossible is very encouraging. So I didn't get the hallway painted today. I DID set out the broccoli and cabbage and plant seeds of zucchini, baby boo pumpkin, and watermelon. And made the area look extra-redneck-y by guarding my seed-spots with old milk crates. So chic. And the windstorm slated for tomorrow can blow right through milk crates.

Anyways, I've read through the book, and started working on the schedule. I actually made one. The book comes with a kit. Sounds silly, I know, but have you ever read something about home organization or time management and come away with, "yeah, wow, that's great! ... Now how do I apply that to MY home/life/family?" I don't think you can come away from this book, having spent time in prayer, without some serious tools at your disposal for accomplishing that which God has called you to. I have my 'first draft' of a schedule done. We'll see how it goes. The first draft is never what works for you in the end, but you can't get to what works without starting somewhere. I think this one is very doable. Shortly we'll begin to implement it, a bit at a time.

I also got most every other book or cd put out by these great folks. And lest I sound too twitterpated: I have my concerns sometimes. I had run across their site and other references to the MOTH system, and while I was somewhat intrigued, I certainly wasn't sold. God forgive my judgments. I saw their large family, the girls all in matching jumpers and long hair, and wondered about their motivations or how legalistic they were. I don't want to be swayed by any 'fad' of faith, or anyone's version of walking their faith out. Had I not heard them speak at length in several sessions and workshops, maybe I would still wonder. However, I DID get to hear them speak and 'judge the spirit', if you will. I was very blessed. I never felt judged or even pitied for my maternity blue-jeans. Every session was punctuated with 'Christ is the power behind this. Seek Him first - without Him it's our own strength and pride'. And from the descriptions they gave of beginning their journey with homeschooling and Christianity, I feel like even *I* can do it!

I haven't read the corresponding books yet, but I so enjoyed the workshops on Managers of Their Chores, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit, Keeping Our Children's Hearts, and Family Devotions. And since I bought the big discount package, I even got "Preparing Sons to Provide for a Single-Income Family". Since I only MIGHT have .6 sons, that book probably doesn't apply yet. But the title fills me with hope, somehow, that there IS good and righteous people in this world. Hopefully my girls will marry men whose parents were familiar with the concept. :)

If nothing else, my first experience with a "homeschool convention" was reassuring. No, I didn't come away with sudden inspiration regarding curriculum or even philosophy, but I came away encouraged to start with 'the basics' - spending time daily in the Word, managing my home, training my kids in the character of Christ.

And killing the broilers tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful. I would like to read the book on a meek and quiet spirit. I really try to have that but its the thoughts that go on in the inside of my heart that I sometimes struggle with.

EllaJac said...

The workshop on that subject was really great. Maybe I'll write more when I have it under control myself. :) Teri, the mom of the family and author of the book, dealt a lot with depression AND anger when she started homeschooling. But for the last 14 years, she's not once yelled at her children. That is pretty amazing, I think. Though I believe I've been much better lately; my Little Monkey comes up with some grand surprises sometimes, that are costly in time AND money. I'm trying to view them as opportunities from God, as opposed to hassles that stand between me and what God wants.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm organzing. That is something that I am trying to incorporate into my life right now. From what I do, it seems to help although I do mess up and give up. My best friend also bought that book you talked on. I am trying to put the master schedule together myself. As soon as she gets the book back, she is going to borrow it to me and let me read it. I liked this in your blog "There IS enough time in the day for you to accomplish all God has called you to". I always say there is not enough time to get everything done but have come to blame it on lack or organization. Let me know how the schedule works for you and I will do the same.
Tanya