Friday, July 27, 2007

Faithfulness

I have been very worried about finances lately. Somehow I didn't realize it until very recently, when God started to reveal fears and concerns. Again. Like after one of the recent windstorms, when Hubby dropped the bomb on me with, "We're going to need a new roof before winter." What?? A new roof? What does that cost? Why didn't you say something while we were spending half our savings on paying down debt?

In my thoughts I worried... Was this like a $1000 thing, or a $3000 thing, or even more? I was informed eventually that it would be much more. Gulp. We have been blessed with a large home, and thankfully it's on 2 stories which makes for less roofing needed. I can't imagine what we'd do if it was a ranch-style this size. Let half blow away, I guess. As it is, I started looking at the money in the bank, and the bills (fairly important ones, things like giving birth, educating my children, things like that). Things certainly weren't adding up. I asked Hubby, "how bad is the roof?" He made the mistake of first saying, "I don't know." This is when some of my fears and worries REALLY started to show up, along with my not-so-meek-or-quiet spirit. "You don't know??? I've been freaking out and having crazy dreams* and wondering if I should give birth without help because of this roof issue, and you tell me you don't know???" As it turns out, he didn't really mean to say that (wonder why), and he was fairly certain we needed an entire new roof. Not a small fix, not a tarp, not a spray-on-waterproofer, but a new roof. I didn't sleep much that night, and tried to turn things over to God.

Monday the roofing-estimate-guy came to check it out. He asked what we wanted (he noted the shingles still lounging in the lawn and driveway), a patch, or what. I told him I would defer to his expertise, that Hubby thought it needed replaced entirely, but we might be in trouble if that was indeed the case. ...He then worked up a bid with $6300 written on it... But the first part of it says "As a result of wind damage..." and told me to submit it to my insurance.

I am prayerfully hoping that this might be God's answer. I should not doubt. He gave us this house, and He is faithful.



*I dreamed last week that Hubby went out and bought a huge, black, new four-wheeler, new clothes, and more while I was sleeping (yes, in my dream I slept). When his reaction to my obvious concern was a cocky smile and a "it's my money, I'll do with it what I want" sneer, I smacked him in the face THREE times, then ran out of the place and fell down crying (also, my mother-in-law was tattooed all over and wore see-thru clothing. Gotta love these pregnancy hormones). I woke up with the same emotions I'd had, and had to call Hubby and talk it out. He assured me that he would never do that. It would've been a motorcycle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are just to funny. Love the dreams. Anyway, you will have to keep me updated on what the insurance company takes of it. God knows your needs and he takes care of them. God Bless.