Friday, July 06, 2007

Justification

Wow, this week is hot! 103 or more today. My mom has been visiting with my neice, who is 5, and it has been a real blessing. She doesn't get to make many trips this way, and we're so happy to have her here!

I ran across a scripture that was so, SO refreshing to read! I mentioned in my 2nd homeschooling post how I constantly look at other families and try to learn from what I see; whether they seem to be doing something worth emulating, or if I would like my family to avoid something they embrace. I have also always struggled with whether or not that was classified as "judgment" and if so, how then to go about evaluating methods of parenting and such. Well, God has answered this for me (Thank you so much, Lord!).

Proverbs 24: 30-32 reads like this:
I went by the field of the lazy man, and by the vineyard of the man devoid of
understanding; And there it was, all overgrown with thorns; Its surface was
covered with nettles; It's stone wall was broken down. When I saw it, I
considered it well; I looked on it and received instruction:


"Wow," was all I could say. If this is among King Solomon's writings, and I do as he did, I guess I'm grateful to be walking in the steps of the wise. I can "look on" others' fields... not to condemn, or point out their weeds, or even to shake my head in pity. I look on them and receive instruction. I can't tell you how freeing this is for my heart. I am so grateful.

Now if I can just quit thinking, "...the field of the lazy lady... all overgrown with obnoxious locust trees; Its surface covered with cheet grass; it's field fence all saggy and leaned over..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a bit confused by the verse. I didn't understand it well. Are you saying you are not necessarily judging but looking at faults of others and learning not what to do with your family/life etc?

EllaJac said...

Tanya, for many, MANY years I have listened to MANY people instruct others on raising their kids. Whether via a sermon, or a conversation, or whatever. In those years, I have watched those families (with the attitude of "ok, sounds good, let's see how your kids turn out"). In many cases I look at the kids' lives (the fields) and they are a shambles right now. Some are not completely messed up, but are certainly not where I hope my children will be at that age. I have struggled with whether or not my looking at these families this way constituted judgment. This proverb tells me it is wisdom to assess what is out there and evaluate it for ourselves. Not so we can sit on our high horse and point out to the world the "faults" of this family or that (after all, there but for the grace of God go I!), but to take it to heart, carefully considering our own field in light of what we've seen. The man "received instruction". He learned from what he saw. The same way a real-life farmer leans over his neighbor's fence and sees his crop and asks, "Is this something I want to replicate? What did he do to get this result? What should I do or not do to get/avoid this result?" In the end, I think it's wisdom to learn from those who are doing what you want to do (whether by books, mentoring, whatever), and heed the results of that which you DON'T want to replicate.

I hope this helps clear it up. Let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Tornado? Hmm...almost sounds like one from what you've described Dear Cousin. I'm sorry to hear about the trampoline...your tallest wanted me to jump on it with her, and as we went out, she was then distracted to another thing. :) Hope you find some parts for it.

As for the verse. I'm going to have to write that down/make a note of it. I too do the same thing, although no kids yet. While working in the Playland at the grocery, I was able to see MANY different parenting styles. Many also made my heart ache. But you just have to observe and learn. I never did say anything to the parents, but I took away lessons from them.

~Cousin

Anonymous said...

well I really liked your blog here. I have always struggled with the same thing but didn't want to be a condemner (not my job) but what the Lord gave you is really good wisdom. thanks for sharing this.
But for the grace of God go I
missy