Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chicken Day 2010

Today is the day.  Forty-three (or so) chickens are scheduled to stop their eating and create some eating for others (me).  This is a record, I think (I'll have to look up last year's blogpost on the subject).  Seems we've lost far fewer birds this year than usual.  One to a toddler, another on day 2 for unknown reasons, one more shortly after, I think, 3 to cold while we were gone, 1 to a predator.  None to sickness or infection that we can tell, though I was thinking one was gonna kick the bucket a while ago; it's comb and wattle was purple, and it was always wheezing.  I can't spot it lately, so maybe it recovered...?

I have my hand-me-down overalls on, so I'm well prepared.  There are some glitches already; Hubby is on call and has been called out to at least 2 service calls so far.  Baby has been fine tuning her nighttime routine, which includes SUDDENLY waking every 2-3 hours and shrieking/screeching at the top of her lungs.  There seems to be nothing wrong, and she mostly settles after I pick her up or nurse her, but it doesn't make for a very restful night for either of us.  She's actually a bit hoarse this morning!

Worse-case scenario we have to put it off until tomorrow.

No comments: