Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Planting

No, it's not all done.  *gulp*

But it's been a weird, cool, rainy spring/summer/winter (there was some 16" of new snow in May in mountains not far from here).  So it's not like I'm late, meteorologically speaking.  Let's hope October's frost follows the same timeline...

MOST of it is done, however.  I thought it took me a long time to poke some 700ish holes in this garden box.

Tedium

And then I realized I was wrong!  It DIDN'T take me very long at all.  I realized this as I was pinching two carrot seeds into each hole.  THAT took some time.  Followed by anguished wailing for a chiropractor.  But alas, none could hear me.

Tomatoes.  Organique walking along the pole beans.

I've put in 30 tomato plants, which is about 1/3 of what I'd like, but I do have to do laundry and nurse the baby and keep the 2-year-old on a leash, so I tried to be reasonable.  I think I have "Big Beef," "Beefmaster," "Old German," "Roma," one "Early Girl," and two "Sweet 100" cherry tomatoes.  Oops, I'm missing one...  "Brandywine."  I put in about as many peppers; mostly Anaheim Chiles for my Diced Green Chile experiment, a couple bell peppers, and a few jalapeños.  There are cukes, and beans along a trellis - soon to be some along a teepee - and corn.  An open-pollinated, heirloom sweet corn.  There might be Sweet Meat Squash put in soon.

Mostly tomatoes on the left, chiles on the right.

I reused much of this black plastic from last year.  Hubby has done most of the rototilling, so I am assigning blame to him when it comes to the geyser that erupted from the corn patch when I attempted to turn on the water to the garden. :)  He fixed it already though.

I'm hoping for a blessed harvest, and praying against the weeds...

No comments: