Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My aunt passed away this morning. She is at peace now. I could fill an entire series of posts about her, but I'll just say that she is certainly in a better place. She was not happy here.

I've been getting some garden work completed, if only in bits. It's tricky to juggle the garden with tending the baby, household chores, and the chicks. Add to that avoiding the midday sun and excessively windy days, and no wonder June's half over and my garden half in. I planted the sweet corn yesterday and put out my gourd and squash plants. The other day I got in all the tomatoes and peppers. The black beans (that I planted from my pantry stash) are growing! I hope they do well. Morning Glory takes considerable time and effort. It's everywhere. *sigh*

I just discovered flying monkeys in my expensive brown rice. Well, they weren't monkeys, but they were some terrible flying creature that has expensive tastes. I'm not sure what to do. I've emailed the order-gal from whence I purchased the rice, but I don't know if there's anything they will do about it. Online reading makes me think it was probably 'infected' before I got it (I've never had these bugs before, and keep things fairly airtight), but there's no proof of that.

I spent $100 at the feed store. All feeds have gone crazy, even as recently as last Friday, and with the Iowa flooding and such, it's not going to get any cheaper any time soon. That $100 worth would've cost me $60 last year, I'm thinking.

Now, to check all my stored flours/grains and figure out who will feed the poultry while we go to a funeral out of town...

Thank you everyone for all your prayers. They've been very, VERY appreciated.

No comments: