Thursday, October 18, 2007

Projects

Since Baby I've been trying to get some sewing done. She and I went to the local fabric store for their Columbus Day Sale and found some DEALS. The clearance racks (priced at $1-$5) were half off, and we scored big. I think I bought 23 total yards of material. Tweed that had an original price of $14/yd or so was bought for $2 or $2.50/yd. This post-partum body needed a wrap-around skirt, and for $5 total you can't beat it. I found some Quilter's Premium cotton that is always way out of my price range and bought a couple yards of it. I'm working on a baby quilt. The one in her last picture was a gift to my firstborn 6 years ago. I love it. It's the perfect size and weight. Plus, it was handmade by my late mom's old girl-scout friend. It's wearing out a bit, and the embroidery thread used to tie it is mostly missing. I'm not sure how many times I've tightened those little knots over the years, but the years are winning. I and the knots are losing.


Here is the quilt so far:



It is folded over in this photo. The light portion is the back, and the darker fabric is the top. You can see that I didn't want to risk having to tie knots every few months so I machine quilted it. I even quilted her name within it, in small cursive letters. :) I've trimmed the excess batting away, and I have some sagey-colored binding to affix to the edge, and then I suppose we're done! I hope it's nice and stands up as well as the last one has...

No comments: