Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Waxing Religious?

I'm always religious, though. And I actually hate the term. Religious to me means a set of rules or laws laid down and that is not at all how I view God or my relationship with Him. But I digress, and I haven't even started yet.

I've recently posted on my gratitude for our littlest, and my geopolitical/moral views about the subject of families with more than the average number of kids. This will address my 'spiritual' views on having children in general. These were all one confusing post in a past life.

I saw a scripture referenced last night. I don't remember where. It was a single verse from Matthew, and I was so amazed to see it in light of the idea of having children. Matthew 18:5, quoting our Savior, no less, reads,


Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.


I think that about sums up my view on the subject. I can't find a better authority to quote.

There are other scriptures. Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate. Psalm 127:3-5. That is my other favorite, though in my aged-ness I may need to research the Psalmist's definition of "youth" a little more specifically here. :)

Nowhere in the Bible can I find reference to anyone praying to not have children. Nowhere does God punish someone by giving them more children. Quite the contrary: Hannah, Rachel, Tamar, Sarah, and others plead with God to open their wombs so they might bear children. When God poured out blessings, he "greatly increased them," and I don't think He was only talking about their bank accounts. Modern America would finish the Job story with Job receiving double his herds and servants, but only half his original number of children. After all, if he wanted to prosper, he'd need less mouths to feed (minds to educate?), right? God doesn't seem to think so...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more! It sure is nice to be able to keep in touch over cyberspace -- lets us know our "crazy" ideas are not something we are alone in, even if it might look that way to look around our IRL friends! I'm so glad to be back in touch with you -- and to discover how much we've got in common. Immense blessings on your adorable new baby girl! And way to go for working so hard to bless your family in all the most important ways :)

EllaJac said...

Andi, at least I live in *insert Red State here*. :) I am very impressed that you are how you are WHERE you are. I imagine you really 'buck the trend' up there. Next time I'm in your neighborhood I'll let you know; maybe we can get together. I'll dress my girls in matching homemade jumpers or something and we'll really freak out the public.:D
I don't know how stay-at-home-schooling-moms used to do it without the internet for research and especially the likeminded support. It's something I'm very grateful for. And thanks for your good wishes... We're still definitely a 'work in progress' but it's by God's grace...