Saturday, December 08, 2007

Goodies, Part Two!

This is a very poor picture indeed, but one of another favorite. We've called these "Chocolate Butterscotch Scotcheroos" and they ARE a mouthful. A little goes a long way with these; they're rich and delicious, and hard to chew.

First, grease a 9x13 pan. Any pan will do, but I prefer glass. I used to use those el-cheapo Baker's Secret things, until I learned Teflon will kill me, and since they shed said teflon like dandruff, I decided glass is better. Grease it with something worthwhile, like butter.

In a large pot, mix a cup of sugar and a cup of corn syrup. I know, it doesn't really get any worse, does it? Corn syrup is GM, almost always, and sugar is just not good for you. But this is not a health-food post or recipe, is it? Ok, cook it (I really don't care what kind of heat) until it JUST comes to a boil, then remove from the heat and add a cup of peanut butter and stir it in well. From the time it boils you don't want to waste any time, as in cooling it hardens considerably. Stir in 6 cups of Cheap Generic Crispy Rice. Or the expensive kind, your choice. Stir gently to coat the rice with the goo. These recipes all have goo, don't they? Again, not wasting any time, scrape the stuff into your greased pan, and press it level, more or less. You might need to butter your fingers or use a utensil that won't have everything sticking to it. Then mix 1/2 a package of milk chocolate chips and 1/2 a package of butterscotch chips in a small saucepan, and melt them on low heat. Whey the chips are melted and smooth, pour them over the peanut butter/rice cereal mixture and spread evenly. You can cut these any time, but the best utensil is a dough cutter or scraper. It looks like a metal rectangle with a wooden or plastic handle along a long edge. If they're completely cooled and the chocolate is hardened, you will need a lot of muscle to do the job. I cut them about 1.5" square, wrap 8 or 12 in plastic wrap, and add them to a gift for Christmas!

To recap:
bring to boil:
1 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup

Remove from heat and add:
1 c. peanut butter, stir
6 c. rice cereal, stir

press into greased pan,

melt 1/2 pkg. milk chocolate, 1/2 pkg. butterscotch

Spread over rice mixture, cool, cut, enjoy!

2 comments:

annie said...

These sound yumy too. I'm sure there's a way to make them healthier...substitute something?

By the way, my parents went to .a Christmas party last night and my mom was all excited this morning to tell me about this delicious dessert someone brought, the goodies with Saltine crackers :) She said they were fabulous!

EllaJac said...

Annie, I haven't tried making these healthier. You can get organic chocolate, but I have no idea about the butterscotch chips. And corn syrup is bad news, but you'd need something to harden the stuff, so I'm not sure what else might work. If you try anything, let me know!

That's too funny about your mom experiencing the same stuff that I just blogged about! You really should give them a try.. when you have a good excuse, like company coming or whatever. Eating the batch is.. quite possible, otherwise. :)