Saturday, May 01, 2010

Am I Really So Absurd?

I'm privileged to have some great people among my friends and family.  But certainly many of them do not agree with my eating habits.  Not that they disagree, because I don't know of any that have really examined the issues, they just aren't interested.

None of us knows the future, but I'm willing to learn what I can, and choose the best I can for that future.  And from what I keep reading about genetically-modified foods, I'm going to remove myself from that experimental group.  You want to be the human lab-rat?  I'm all for choice and freedom; you go right ahead.  Me, no thanks.

From an article in the Salem-News:

...hamsters fed genetically modified (GM) foods produce grandchildren that are unable to produce fourth generation offspring.


...



Genetically modified foods will feed the hungry. I guess that’s one way of putting it.
You could also call it population control. Technically, the final result would be an end to world hunger. They didn’t lie.

...



Studies showed stunted growth, impaired immune systems, bleeding stomachs, abnormal and potentially pre-cancerous cell growth in the intestines, impaired blood cell development, misshaped cell structures in the liver, pancreas and testicles, altered gene expression and cell metabolism, liver and kidney lesions, partially atrophied livers, inflamed kidneys, less developed organs, reduced digestive enzymes, higher blood sugar, inflamed lung tissue, increased death rates and higher offspring mortality as well.


And I don't know about you, but this is JUST what I needed to attempt another batch of homemade mayonnaise for this pasta salad.  I won't tell you how many batches I've destroyed, but soybean-based mayo?  I think not...

No comments: