Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Diaper Covers!

I haven't posted much information about my current projects because, well, it's the Christmas Season, and there is a possibility (albeit slight) that some gift recipients are current readers of this blog, and I don't want to spoil the surprise! I guess that doesn't do my readers much good, huh, to know they aren't likely getting any gifts? :)



Something I have been working on here and there are some larger diaper covers. I only technically bought the 8-15 lb range or so, and she's probably 14+ right now, so we've been using some of my homemade ones.



It's not too hard really; I have all the crazy fabric required for these things, and making an pattern off an existing cover is pretty easy.



Here are some I've completed:

I made these while waiting for her, so they're the I think it's a boy colors...


Oooo look! Laundry tabs!
I made a couple autumn-themed covers. SO fashionable! This one was based on Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, with fold-over-elastic to edge most of it.

Here's another Bummis copy; (enlarged) one of my holiday themed covers. It's the deluxe version, lined with a layer of crushed Panne. It's also turned-and-topstitched. This offers protection against any PUL-skin contact, but working with that panne stuff was horrific. So slippery! Next time I'll need to work it differently, I think.



So, that's a bit of what I've done this past month in the sewing room. Perhaps I'll spend January doing a show-and-tell-all...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are so cute!!! You should sell those and start a business. If my kids were still in diapers, I would buy them. You have talent.

annie said...

they are cute! where did you find pul? i went into joann fabrics one day and asked about it and they had no idea what i was talking about. i used those kinds (homemade and bummis) with my daughter for the first two months because they were loaned to us. free diapers! but i really didn't like how bulky they were. we switched to fuzzi bunz and have been happy with those, though i can't stand the expense. i hope they last through the next few babies.

i need to get started on my projects in my sewing room. which is still covered in boxes from our move. six months ago.

Alyson said...

Ha! I just saw the book you listed. Keeping the family cow! oh I am going to get that!!
I just started my chickens for eggs. My husbands parents are dairy farmers and they live down the road but I want MY cow to roam free!! along with the chickens of course :)

EllaJac said...

Annie, PUL just got a lot harder to come by, as of a month ago or so. The outfit that makes the (good) stuff upped their minimums from like 5 yards to increments of 50 yds per color. I am part of a yahoo co-op group called Colormeflannel, and they've done a couple orders lately. I'm still waiting on the last order from right before they changed the minimums. This is the cheapest way to get it (so far). You can buy it by the yard online for $8-10/yd. There is also Diaper Kit which is pretty reasonable (pre-cut stuff) and I think I bought some yardage and elastic and velcro stuff from Very Baby. Hope this helps!

EllaJac said...

Alyson; it's a good book. With knowledgeable dairy-folks in the family, you should go for it. Until I find a neighbor to literally "cow-share," I can't do it. That, and Hubby's expensive food sensitivity test last August put Cow's milk on the no-no list. He won't touch goat's milk (I admit, it's not as tasty), though goats would be an easier option... I enjoy reading about your beginning-farm adventures! We've had our own around here!

Laura said...

Nice! I wish I could do that. You really should start a business and sell them. I'd buy one too!

annie said...

Thanks for the resources. I don't think I'll be making any now, with the raised PUL prices. Yuck! And I was hoping to get some to make a few other things with. Man. Know of any other material that's similar but not vinyl or something else stiff and unfriendly?

EllaJac said...

Annie, uh, I know where you can get a reasonable deal on a yard of navy blue that a, uh, wrongly-guessing 9-month-pregnant lady bought. *ahem* Google 'wool diaper cover' and read about those; wool that has lanolin in it still (or again) has some interesting properties for diapering, though I imagine it would come out even more expensive than the PUL. Join the colormeflannel yahoo group, and keep an eye out; we're expecting the moderator gal to get our PUL anytime, and if there are leftovers, they always go first-come-first-served. Maybe you could post early and get on a 'leftover list'? Diaper Hyena has some info, I think, on diapering materials too. Good luck!

EllaJac said...

Laure - you CAN do it! :) Well, with practice, maybe... Maybe one day I'll become all amazing and do one of those blog giveaway drawings and give one away. Hmm.. Don't hold your breath though; Baby Girl is growing like a weed, and I still need to finish these Christmas presents!!!