Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Hard Pill to Swallow

I've had a couple questions lately, in real life and via email, about what I think about hormonal contraceptives. While I remain undecided in the larger, grander debate concerning contraception (at all) for married Christians, I DO have a pretty solid opinion on the pill, patch, nuva-ring, things like that - hereafter collectively referred to as The Pill.

Most people have it figured out that I don't like "artificial" things, nor "chemical" things, and certainly I won't put in my body artificial chemicals. But aside from that generality, there are very specific problems with The Pill. We've all heard the commercials that state that "hormonal contraceptives increase your risk of blood clots, heart attack, stroke, and death." Yay, sounds like good stuff to me! I know of two young women (one in her early twenties) who have had strokes due to this stuff. Not good.

A good portion of what makes up The Pill are pseudo-estrogens. Too much estrogen is not a good thing, and I don't mean that as a joke. Living with that added to your body increases other risks, like breast cancer, among others. Ask any breast cancer survivor if they're allowed to touch birth control pills - or even soy (which is evil) for that matter. Estrogen feeds breast cancer cells.

Now they're finding an increase in arterial plaque and heart disease with Pill usage.

Does that give you an idea that I'm not into The Pill? Those are all very important medical and health-related reasons, but they're not the only reasons. Some reasons are aesthetic (at the very least). The 'annoying' side effects of decreased libido and increased weight. One could argue that pregnancy increases weight as well, but c'mon. :)

Beyond health and aesthetics (as though they weren't enough), I'm personally unwilling to take on the moral risks associated with The Pill. Years ago when I looked into it, I'd heard "rumors" of The Pill possibly causing early abortions. I was skeptical, so I asked my ob/gyn about it, who happens to be a good man, religious and with position in his church. I was completely surprised to hear him say, "I don't know." (Was I the first Christian patient to ask that???) However, unlike most other doctors I've dealt with, he didn't stop there. He left the exam room, found some Pills, and took out a 3-foot long information sheet in tiny print to read. Bless his heart, he read and read. There in black and white, put there by it's manufacturer, the last few lines confirmed it. The Pill is designed to prevent pregnancy in 3 ways:
  1. Preventing ovulation by hormonal manipulations
  2. Thickening mucus as to compromise sperm motility
  3. Making the uterine wall inhospitable to a fertilized egg, thereby preventing implantation

That was enough for me. A (healthy) fertilized egg is supposed to be a baby, eventually, and I couldn't justify even the tiniest chance that I could be responsible for that.

That said, I'm confused that the whole "Emergency Birth Control, Plan B, Morning-After Pill" detractors (which of course, I'm one) aren't equally up-in-arms over The Pill - to say nothing of IUDs (intra-uterine-devices). IUDs work ONE way, and that's to kill-off that already-fertilized egg (see line-of-defense #3 for The Pill, above). I know a dear Christian woman who used one for years, and was quite upset when she learned what was happening. She hadn't questioned it, and no doctor bothered to fill her in. I know other Christian girls using them, because they're "too undisciplined" for any other method of birth control. I can only assume they have no idea what they're doing.

So - in case you also were wondering (hm, not likely, eh?), now you can scratch from your list "What does EllaJac think about hormonal contraceptives?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% even though I have taken them in my younger years. I beat myself up for my husband getting fixed years ago because I am not sure that is biblical and I would like to say i would have more kids if we hadn't done that. Thanks for sharing all the information.

MamaJ said...

Good post! We gave the whole "birth control" thing up after learning about the devastating effects it has! I had tried the "Pill, the Ring, the Patch," the works. Every single one messed me up hormonally as well as having emotional effects. Our second son was even conceived while "on" birth control. He was born with a heart defect, hmmmm, can't help but wonder. Not that we're beating ourselves up thinking we solely caused it, because I know God is Sovereign over every situation. But, after much prayer and study, we decided that our family was going "off" birth control for GOOD! I never felt better than I did tossing out several months and probably a few hundred dollars worth of the stuff! Thanks for posting this!

annie said...

Well, I admit I really wasn't wondering what your position on hormonal birth control was, but I'm glad to read it. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who eschews modern contraception! What boggles my mind is how people try to make me feel bad for not being on some hormone. I don't walk around advertising it, but if someone happens to find out I always get the, "Really? Don't you realize you could get pregnant? Then what would you do, with two so close together? Don't you want to enjoy your time with this one before you have another?" or other such nonsense.

What do you think of non-hormonal contraception, like Natural Family Planning or the diaphragm? Or is that too much to ask and answer? :) I don't mean to pry!

p.s. let me know how your shampoo bar goes...that looks interesting!

EllaJac said...

Tanya, I don't know how your husband feels about the situation, but there are doctors who do reversals for fairly 'cheap' as a ministry. You could google it... But please don't beat yourself up. That won't edify or bring good fruit. Pour yourself into the children you DO have, and trust God for the rest.

MamaJ - I'm glad you were able to "toss" that stuff and feel so good about it! I'm also glad you and your family came to such a certain decision on the whole thing. That is a wonderful testimony of hearing God and acting - with a lot of faith!

Annie, you're right; it's so "normal" for "everyone" to be on this stuff. Other, more 'moral' (if we can assign levels of morality) methods are often much more complicated, and we modern folk are lazy that way. And really, to other concerned people, you could say, "If I want to 'enjoy' this one completely, I'd have to wait 20 years (or their entire life?) for the next one!" As to those other, 'more complicated' methods, please, pry away.. :) Though I'm probably the wrong person at whom to pry at this time. I'm somewhat undecided, really. I will say that "in the past" (i.e. when I had an opinion) I've been much more comfortable with 'barrier' type methods than anything else. Really, outside of hormones/IUDs, there's not much else (well, freaky depo shots and worse). I had some friends who practiced barrier contraception but "without spermicide" as they were against "killing sperm". I'm not so sure I understand that one; seems like they'll die in a condom (or in the body) anyway... :) I don't see anything wrong with NFP, though the argument continues... That recognizes natural biological signs of fertility, and I don't suppose God would've designed those signals if it wasn't ok for us to discover - and use? - them. This would be null and void if you thought abstaining for the purpose of delaying pregnancy to be unbiblical, of course.

So far shampoo bar is not ready-to-ship, but I'm keeping my eye out for when it's available.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I don't use contraception of any sort, nor do I want to. I think birth-control has the world "control" in it for a reason, and as far as I'm concerned, God should be the only one in control of my life.

My daughter is 7 months and we have yet to get pregnant, and believe it or not, I'm kind of hoping I do soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I think "The Pill" has never been attacked b/c it would send so many "good Christians" into a tailspin.

I had a trembling (literally I was, in my belly) conversation about the abortifacent nature of the pill with a new family member.

She had just been talking about how pro-life she was, so I "fished," asking if her pro-lifeness started at conception or somewhere later. She emphatically affirmed that it has to start there 'cause where else would one draw the line.

I brought up her Pill and she (tried to) slam the conversation closed: "I've had that debate loads of times. I'm not going to have it again."

I was *floored.* Talk about your "inconvenient truth." Sometimes I wonder if it's better not to bring it up so I'm not condemning someone to sinning in knowledge rather than ignorance.

But then, I was heartbroken when I found out about it, and annoyed no one mentioned it sooner.

The whole thing makes me so sad...

EllaJac said...

Amy, I'm with you there. It's very sad. Unless they're understating it (which may well be so), preventing implantation is a 'last line of defense,' which would make me hope it's a rare occurrance. In that, I pray these women at least embrace truth and admit the risk they're willing to take. I'm not so sure it's so 'rare' because even then I've heard of many, many women becoming pregnant while on the pill. How many more became pregnant and miscarried before they could even know? Too, while there might be no relationship, it seems I've known many who went on the Pill for a period of time, and then, going off, found themselves unable to get pregnant for years. Some still are unable. I wonder if they regret delaying the possibility of babies, now that they aren't so easy to come by. :(

Laura said...

I'm woefully behind in reading blogs/commenting/responding to comments, but I just wanted to say that I totally agree with you and I think your post is very well written! :-)