Thursday, February 07, 2008

All Knit Up

I've mentioned my "new hobby" a time or two. I must say that it has slowed down some of my sewing projects. But I can't crawl in bed at night and spend a few minutes sewing. Nor can I sew in front of the pellet stove. I also can't accomplish much sewing while waiting for the toaster to pop or the oatmeal water to boil. Knitting, once so strange, complicated, time-consuming, and foreign, has become a fascinating and satisfying expression of creativity and detail. Now, I'm still COMPLETELY novice at this stuff. I can knit, purl, cast on, bind off, and with my printed-instructions I can do short rows, pick up stitches (is it cheating if you use a crochet hook?) and maybe increase and decrease. And I *think* I can "yarn over." It seems to be working, anyway.

What do I manage to accomplish with all these skills? Wool britches, of course. They're the old-school version of diaper covers (ok, maybe new-school too; I told you I don't know much). Wool and lanolin make for a unique combination for cloth diapering. Apparently it can 'hold' moisture without wicking it through other fabrics, the lanolin reacts with the urine to neutralize it (no smell), and they only need washed occasionally (unless they get poopy). I have learned a lot about wool soakers in general, and knitting them at Yahoo's Wool Soaker Group. So far I've made two wool "soakers" (the no-legs kind) and two "longies" (long-legged, like pants). I'm working on another soaker, and ran out of yarn for another I'm working on. I'm too cheap (so far) to pay for a pattern when there are some great ones online for free. The first I made (the dark brown soaker) is the Curly Purly soaker. I then made a cute pair of Aubrey Doodlepants in the same brown with a white waistband and rolled cuffs (no picture yet!). I made another set, trying my hand at widening the crotch gusset and making the legs a bit 'flared' with this great Lion Brand yarn in Autumn Sunset. The colors made for some 'fun' with the knitting, and turned out some great stripes and lines. I then tried the Punk Knitter's Soaker (the orange-ish one with blue) because I liked the whole hole thing for the drawstring. FYI: that cute drawstring (i-cord) takes a lot longer than you'd think to knit... This pattern also gave me a chance to learn to decrease. The in-progress soaker is another of these. The one I ran out of wool on is this modified 1932 Soaker. I'm thinking it will be great, because all that ribbing makes for plenty of wool/lanolin in the crotch area. However, all that ribbing also makes for slow going for me, and I don't know if I'll do another one.

Things I don't know yet: I've heard that wool loses it's magic under the wrong conditions. Namely, compression. It will wick a bit if something is pressing hard against it, therefore you don't want to snap a onesie over a soaker, nor strap your babe in a carseat for long. I don't know what other wardrobe complications it might present. It's too chilly for bare legs; can I put regular pants over a soaker? Should I learn to knit leg-warmers?

Here are some resources I've found really helpful: This is a page full of links to tons of patterns, free and otherwise, knit or crochet, soaker or longies. Knitting Help has videos for so many things. It's so great to come across an instruction I don't understand and be able to actually see it done by someone. They have everything from the basic knit, purl, cast-on, to other, more complicated things that I don't even understand yet. They also have a few free patterns. Same Knit, Different Day has a great short-row tutorial for doing short-rows in the round (short rows are handy for making a bit more room in the buns to cover the cloth diaper). Techknitting has some more advanced information, but everything seems to have great illustrations and clear, concise instructions. I especially like her method of joining circular knitting. It has helped the edge of my soaker-in-progress look much nicer. There is obviously a million techniques I don't know, and that's fine. For once I don't have that need to conquer everything about a subject.



What works for me: I have broken out a binder and some sheet covers... My old lady knitting bag was getting a bit messy with all these print-outs of patterns and techniques. I copy and paste the pictures and instructions from a website into MS Word, resize the pictures, widen the margins on the page, take out extraneous info, and get the whole thing into a page or two, usually. With some birthday money I purchased a set of Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles. I really really love them. I can knit flat (imagine your grannies straight skewer-style needles, where she knit back and forth and made a flat piece), knit round (imagine the handful of smaller needles that hold the work like a triangle and ultimately make a tube - like a sock or soaker), knit small-circumference round things and large, use different sized needles on either side of the cord (makes me go a bit faster), and hold unfinished work on a cord without losing my needles to the project. If I were to ever travel on an airline again, I could take them handily in their case, and make it through security without them being confiscated or detained. Now, they're not the only interchangeable needles out there, but they're a bit cheaper than some others, I could find them locally to 'try out', and they're the ones I got.I'll post later about another yarn-project... First though, maybe some baby socks?

6 comments:

annie said...

I am the world's slowest knitter and my sewing usually gets in the way of my knitting projects because I can finish them faster, but I love it. And I love my Denise's. I don't even use straight needles anymore, unless the size needed in the Denises are already in use.

I like your soakers, but I don't think I'd like the compression issue. That seems a tough one to get around. I guess longies would solve the problem of cold baby legs, but I'm not sure. I think it's fascinating just how clever people were before the advent of things like PUL and plastic.

MamaJ said...

Girl!! You are sooo not a novice at this stuff! You need to get a website and a storefront, my friend! I would buy half the things you have shown us here! I will buy two pairs of those wool underpants from ya right now. Bill me. (I'll send you my measurements later...HAHA!)

EllaJac said...

Annie, wow, people knit in Florida?!? I thought everyone just partied on the beach... Sheesh, I have a lot of 'stereotypes,' huh? :) MamaJ, thanks so much! I really AM a novice.. Those ain't close-ups, ya know..! Tell ya what, you might want something a bit SOFTER than the wool stuff, ya think? Maybe some soy/bamboo/angora? Haha, I don't even know if they make that particular combination. I'm all about the wool right now, and it's amazing pee-transforming qualities! Maybe we can go intuh bidness together; y'all get a storefront and website and I'll set m'self up a sweatshop... Okay, and YOU do the books too, because my kids eat receipts.

MamaJ said...

Ha! It's a deal. "Pee-transforming qualities," that's what I am talking about! But, I don't think the wool will go over real well here in Tejas. In fact, I bet most Texans don't wear wool, ever.

Speaking of stereotypes, we really do walk around in leather chaps and cowboy hats. I will be wearing mine to Wal-Mart in just a minute. Hehe. I am sooo kidding. I don't have chaps.

EllaJac said...

MamaJ, actually, wool is very breatheable and therefore cooling... In South Africa they wear (very thin) wool suits (like men-going-to-church suits). Apparently they're pretty nice... :) Soooo - your wooly undies might be JUST THE THING! I can't do cables or anything, so I don't know if I could make them to match the stitching on yer boots, but maybe we can match the color to yer chaps...

Annie, was thinking about it last night... do you knit "english" (yarn in right hand) or "continental" (yarn in left)? I was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy slow as a youngster trying to work everything with my right hand (english), but when I turned my back on the Good Queen, I did much better. :)

annie said...

You are like the fourth person to mention Continental knitting to me. I knit English. It's the most comfortable, and I knit for pleasure and to slow my brain down. I guess I could try this Continental thing and see if it gets me to the end product quicker.

I don't know about wool being cooling....All my experience it's been heavy, thick, and itchy. :) I'm actually making a shawl right now out of some faaabulous wool a friend of mine sent me for my birthday last year. It was supposed to be a sweater, but I don't have the patience.

I wish everyone just partied on the beach all the time. :) I think you should take a vacation to Florida!