Thursday, August 06, 2009

So Cute

Last weekend I actually did a little bit of nesting. I've been sewing a lot for my midwife, and I'd love to bake or cook or other things, but the energy just hasn't been there. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Too, if I ever gain this much weight I think I'd have to have my feet amputated. Ouch!

Anyways, I purchased the "Trimsies" diaper pattern and got to work right away. A dear friend had given me some real life microfleece, so I thought it would be the perfect way to try it out. I made two diapers, both size "small," which REALLY is small. I'm a little worried my baby has already outgrown them (no, it's not born yet)! But isn't it the cutest thing?

The pattern has a unique soaker/doubler option, so while it's technically an "All In One," it has the quick-dry properties of a pocket diaper. The instructions call for these layers to be sewn along the front edge of the soaker and doubler to the liner, so they hang out like flaps in the washer and dryer.

I of course rarely follow all the instructions. Instead of sewing the doubler and soaker to the lining, I sewed them to each other, and set snaps in the doubler (is that what the small one is?) and in the diaper lining, towards the back.

Below you can see it 'unsnapped' and the soaker/doubler turned over.

My reasoning for this is as follows: If we can use a cover several times over a prefold before washing it, it stands to reason that this diaper could act the same way. The outer portion is microfleece and PUL, like many covers are, and instead of a prefold, these soaker/doubler parts are the absorbent element. If I don't sew them in permanently, but make extra sets of the absorbent parts, couldn't I switch them out via the snaps and not have to make as many 'covers'? At least for the newborn stage?

Perhaps someone could set me straight on this.

I really like the pattern. It's the first one I haven't downloaded for free or borrowed from another mom. I haven't made any additional diapers or bigger sizes, but I did learn quite a bit on this effort.

First: If you're used to making front-snapping diapers, DOUBLE-CHECK which side you want your snaps to be on the wings. Thankfully, after setting a mere 24 snaps, I realized a mistake. And I'm REALLY thankful we just bought Hubby a new rechargeable battery for his DeWalt drill.

Also: This pattern requires some bit of cloth diapering experience. It doesn't really offer any fabric recommendations or the like, and I had to do a bit of research. I've never used doublers or soakers, and I found a lot of them are made with fabrics I have no experience with. Things like Bamboo velour and hemp, french terry and other fancy things. I know prefolds, I know microfiber (when it comes in a bright yellow automotive polishing cloth from Costco).

I chose the PUL outer, obviously, and the microfleece liner. For the soaker (larger pad), I used a layer of microfleece for the top (figuring it would be a stay-dry fabric and super soft), a layer of microfleece in the middle (you don't want it against baby's skin, but it absorbs quickly), and some nice fall-themed flannel for the bottom (more absorbency) The doubler is flannel on top and bottom, with the microfleece in the middle (yes, I sacrificed an automotive cloth). I serged around these, and I apologize for the color. I found some woolly nylon on sale a bit ago, and bought blue, dark and light pink, and black.

Obviously, I don't know if this fabric combination will work yet or not. I'm excited to try them out sometime soon, hopefully (I'm due the 8th, after all! That's in... 27 hours or so!), and I'll let you know if my ideas work.


annie said...

Earlier this summer my parents had their A/C worked on and my mom discovered the guy's wife was due with their second in a few weeks and was using the same midwife I had. We also discovered she makes her own cloth diapers, so I emailed her and asked if I could buy some from her, since our Fuzzi Bunz are NOT holding up no matter what I do.

The guy came back a couple days later to finish up and she sent with him one of her small diapers she's made. She uses this pattern and the small is SMALL. I tried the one on my son, who was I think eight weeks or so at the time and it was waaaay too tiny. Like bikini bottoms tiny. I haven't heard from her since then (she, I'm sure, has had her baby and got distracted with all that newborn wonderfulness), but I'm curious to know if the mediums are better. The smalls left no room to grow (Hugh was also 8lb 4oz when he was born), so I hope the medium size offers a little more allowance for use.

The one she gave me was all in one, with a knit outer, and in the note she included she said she uses longies over them. Those are the wool covers, right? The diapers themselves are incredibly trim, so I don't think they'd be as bulky as I was thinking they'd be with the covers added over them. She had also sewn shut the back, so they are one-time-use diapers. But, since she uses a cover, I guess they're just like a fitted anyway.

They're cute!

Praying for you that you are at least on time with this baby. :)

EllaJac said...

Annie, yeah, it sounds like it was/is more of a 'fitted' if it needs longies (which yes, are 'long' wool pants. Shorties are like shorts, and a soaker is no legs at all, like underwear). They certainly are supposed to be 'trim' and less bulky under clothes. I'll let you know if I manage to get any mediums done sometime. :)

And thanks for your prayers! I *almost* got a little excited last night; was having semi-regular contractions for a few hours (this pregnancy has been unusually bereft of the braxton hicks I'm used to living with for months). At least it got me motivated to heat-dry that second set of sheets and a few more towels, and to make sure the birth pool hose could attach to a faucet somewhere. :)

sariah said...

You did a great job on that diaper. I hope your baby can use it at least 2 weeks. :-)