Monday, April 11, 2011

More Facebook

I know I made up some Facebook Etiquette a while back, but I continue to be perplexed at what this window into human behavior offers. Now, I am NO paragon of wisdom when it comes to discretion or good judgment, but even I can be surprised by others.

For instance:

I don't post angry hate-filled rants against people (called by name)... or end the rant condemning the hatred of the other person. Truly, I can't decide if I'm more annoyed at a public rant, OR the absurdity of raging against a 'hater.'

I don't post obvious information about my hormones (I'm sure they have authored a few status updates, but I try not to advertise them).

I don't post about my birth control choices or undergarments (unless laundry counts as this...?).

Now, these are mostly silly, personal preferences. I have good reasons (do all the men on my friends list want to know about some of that??), but none of these things qualify as dangerous.

But what about the smart phone updates? Now, my phone is not smart enough for this, but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around anyone posting exactly where they are right then. I know anyone seeing it is a "friend" (unless you don't have your privacy cinched up tight), but really? Do you want people knowing you're not at home? Or out of town even? Maybe I'm just being weird, because certainly we all may update that we're going on vacation, or something. I'm not sure why the instant updates seem more nefarious to me... If anyone does the little "...is at Olive Garden" updates, I want to know why. Does that sound snarky? I hope not; I really don't know why people would post the restaurant they're eating at, or the store they're shopping.  Perhaps this is my fear-of-man showing up, feeling inferior that I don't get to eat out at that place, or that often, or have ever shopped there...{I wonder if there's a "...is killing chickens." app for the iPhone...} Or, MORE nefarious, maybe my friends AREN'T posting... Maybe the phone is doing it for them! Hmm... Should I warn them? "Jane, your ANDROID is advertising your location! They know where you are. Be careful!"

Then again, I'm sure there might be people who find my "barnyard updates" a little too informative for taste, too... :)

3 comments:

MamaJ said...

Ugh, I disabled that on mine. (At least I think I did, can you please tell me if you see my location? Especially when I'm at the local bar & grill for karaoke night...) Hubby chose not to disable it on his, but he doesn't update his locations either. It kind of freaks me out too, I don't want it updating our location all the time. But, if you have a phone with GPS, or use On-Star, you have to realize your location is always easy to find. Scary.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just pondering this the other day. WHY would I advertise that my home is sitting empty?

Jenny said...

I'm with you on the location thing. Very "big brother". And I'd much rather read that you're killing chickens than that you're out to a restaurant.