Thursday, August 28, 2008

Meet The Chicks

I spent a few dusty moments in the chicken house a while ago, trying to capture a few shots of our notable chickens. Mind you, the notable ones are the only ones we've named, as they're the only ones different enough from their compadres to sort them out.

This is Grace or Agnes. I say 'or', because the girls keep changing her name.





Hmm.. I don't know who these are. Foreground, a buff orpington, background a light brahma.



Ah, here are some I recognize. The white one in the background is Angie. I have no idea what she is, other than a chicken. She has gray-green feet like the Aracaunas (the mottled one beside her), but until she starts laying eggs, I have no idea. Next to the Aracauna is a Brown Leghorn Rooster. I like their white earlobes.

Here's another mystery chick. We call her Rusty. She's a little darker than the buffs, has a bit of black in her tail. She also has the gray/green feet, and the funny puffy-looking cheeks like an Aracauna. Can't wait till these girls start laying...

These aren't really chicks, but they might be the mothers of some of them. These are our three hens we got this year from the hatchery. You wouldn't recognize them, if you saw them then. They were missing all their back feathers and all but a stub or two of tail feathers. They were skittish and psycho and freaked out. True concentration-camp victims, certainly. They are Warren, Peace (upper right), and Flopsy. Flopsy is a brown leghorn, and the others Aracaunas. They are our best layers right now (and do not hide away for weeks on infertile nests... grrr.).

Here are our guineas. They are very weird. Completely unlike chickens, in many ways.

And finally, the turkeys. Yummy.

2 comments:

sariah said...

Just wondering what you raise your guineas for..eggs, meat? Do you butcher your chickens yourself? If you do, I'd like to watch because I need to learn how.

EllaJac said...

Sariah, well, this is the first year we've done the guineas. My folks raised them ages ago, but I only ever remember the log trucks on the highway doing the 'harvesting' of them. If we can catch them, we'll probably eat them. They hide their eggs and aren't very good producers of them (as I understand it). And yep, we process our own birds. It ain't pretty, but, uh, why don't you come on over and I'll "train" you in it. :) And you can practice. hehe.

Seriously though, you're welcome to view it. There's online info about it too, if you need to sear your conscience, er, educate yourself beforehand. :)