Friday, January 04, 2008

All Cracked Up

Remember my expensive busted countertop? No, it's not fixed yet. In fact, it seems my whole kitchen is falling apart. I'm wondering if there was a 15-year warranty on the kitchen surfaces, because this place was built in 1993, I think, and time is most definitely up for this stuff. I noticed a problem in the main countertop the other day; one I may have noticed before, but not with as much attention. There is a slight seam, almost like a welded joint, under Hubby's coffee paraphernalia. It is almost invisible at first, but you can feel the joint towards the back. You can see it too, perhaps due to the coffee splatters and finely-ground powder that have visited the crack over time. The problem runs from the wall about 8 inches toward the front of the countertop... But at that point, an interesting thing happens. It goes from a smooth, straight line into two or three jagged lightning-esque cracks to the left and right. Which are also a deep brown hue.

But that is not all. A week ago I happened to glance down at my kitchen sink. Rather, I glanced at that part of the sink that divides the two 'bowl' parts. There was a... can you guess? Yeah, a crack! This was almost too much to believe, really. My sink is the same material as the counters (looks like it, at least. Maybe fiberglass?). It's undermounted and smoothly-connected, like a router did the edging. But there was a crack. It crossed the width of that dividing part (about one inch) and went 1/2" or so downwards into each bowl. Reaching upward from below the sink, I could feel the crack with my fingernail, so I knew it was a real crack. In fact, since last week, the crack has worsened, becoming more offset on the top, and extending further down into the sinks. After about an inch descent, it curves towards the back (faucet area) and fades away after a couple inches of slope.

What in the world is going on here? I'm told that these solid-surface things are brittle, and with enough weight a crack could form, but I haven't noticed anyone weight-worthy sitting around on my counters (or sink!). I haven't spent enough time praying about it to discern any spiritual meaning here :), but at the very least it's putting my birthday wish on hold as well as setting back our recently-somewhat-regenerated savings account.

I hate waste, and would love to find a good use for such a pile of junk large amount of material. I'm sure that big 8'x3' peninsula countertop could hem in some edible critter, right? Or make a nice outdoor processing table?

No comments: