Saturday, January 19, 2008

Deception

I have been thinking lately. I know, I know... that's both rare and dangerous, but at least I can admit it.

I've been thinking about how I feel safe and secure and blessed when Hubby's paychecks are enough to pay the bills, when the pantry is well-stocked, and when we're all healthy and well. I feel "on top of things" when we pay off a debt.

I am realizing that all these things are deceptive. For in truth my safety, security and blessing aren't really based on how many hours Hubby worked. They aren't based in Hubby's having his job, or being able to work. Debts aren't reduced because I can stretch a dollar. In truth we are all one breath away from ruin, destruction, death. It is only by God's grace that we stand. It is easy to find 'cause and effect' between paychecks and pantries, but it is false evidence. Of course we are to be good stewards of what God provides, but that's just it: It's what God provides. I begin to feel relief and satisfaction that we are close to the house being our only debt... and then I realize that one accident, illness, liability, or circumstance could change that in an instant. And I am humbled to realize that it is only God - only God - which keeps us. It is not in a raise (or not) at Hubby's job. It is not in continued employment. It is not in careful budgeting. All these things are good, and may well be God's chosen method for keeping us, but we cannot be distracted by His methods; we must remain focused on Him.

We may do everything 'right': keep and use our credit wisely, eat healthy foods, develop skills and seek gainful employment... and still the sink could crack. I am grateful that it is the sink and counter, not the house foundation, anyone's bones, or my sanity.

Galations 6:7-8
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Be not deceived! Careful control and planning (sowing to flesh) do not equal security. Walking faithfully in Him, dying to self (sowing to the Spirit), these things equal true security. We can rest in Him, that He will enable us for what He calls us to.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Great post!! Thanks for the reminder.