Monday, January 14, 2008

Reflecting

Today is my birthday. I am thirty. Thirty! That just doesn't compute yet. It took me three months to get used to being twenty. I can't believe that was a decade ago.

Some amazing (to me, anyway) facts:
  • When I was twenty, I met my husband. I've known him for roughly 1/3 of my life.
  • I won't actually be 30 until late tonight, which is interesting. I was born one time zone west of here (at 10:39 pm), so had my mother been east of here, I would've had a different birthdate.
  • Far from wanting to 'get on with' my life, I realize the importance of my family (parents, brother) and am excited to build a family that will bless my children as they grow. That is 'the life' I know I'll be happy to have lived once this chance is gone.
  • When my mother was 30 she had already been divorced. God's mercy has enabled me to avoid that state.
  • When my maternal grandmother (Gi-gi) was 30, she had two school-aged children and was working and going to school. God's mercy has enabled me to avoid that state too.
  • When my paternal grandmother was 30, she was pregnant with her first child, a son. I don't know if it's God's mercy, but we have had no sons. She went on to have my father 2 years later, and my aunt 10 years after that.

Life seems full of paradoxical events. How do I feel about being 30? Well, God has blessed me with an amazing and wonderful life, and I can't imagine doing anything else right now. I am humbled by His care of us and so grateful for Him. I really need to focus on those last two sentences, because, on my birthday, I find myself wishing for someone else to do the dishes, just once. Or someone to scrub the raspberry sauce the girls spilled on the floor TWO days ago. I wonder what it's like to have a husband who plans ahead and doesn't ask "so, what do you want for your birthday?" on the way home from work that night. I feel like shifting my birthday to another calendar month: Cake just shouldn't happen this soon after the holidays, and usually doesn't. Money doesn't happen either, between gifts and festivities for everyone, coupled with reduced working-days equals a very empty pocket. Last year my gift (and it was a wonderful one!) was to turn off the satellite tv. No, it didn't save us any money (I had to bargain with satellite radio and Netflix), but it has had a wonderful impact on our family time.

I'm sorry to say that yesterday evening my attitude wasn't pleasant. While trying to lower expectations can be beneficial to one's attitude, somehow there is a line between expecting misery, and finding joy regardless. I don't think I've found that line. I also came down with a miserable sore throat and runny nose yesterday, too. The girls have had a cough (now today Baby does too), and we're all a little ragged-feeling, I'm afraid. The household chores are getting away from me, and the energy and mental stamina needed to keep up is just not there when I'm feeling crummy.

So, here I am, while Baby and Monkey sleep, and I'm blogging instead of mopping. *sigh* Where's the wisdom that comes with being older?

4 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday!!! We skipped the cake on my husband's birthday too. Well, sort of. I didn't make a cake that we would have been eating for days, but I did buy 2 pieces of cheesecake from the Fresh Market. That's okay, right? It is so close to the holidays, and we have SO MUCH birthday cake at the beginning of the year here. Six birthdays in three months!

I hope everyone gets to feeling better at your house. We have sickies here too. At least it's not throwing up!

annie said...

happy birthday! all my january birthday friends have cake on their birthdays anyway because it's their birthday and who cares if Christmas was ten days ago? :) i'm with you on the mopping. and the attitude adjustment. i hope everyone at your house feels better very soon.

you have some mad sewing skills. hopefully by the time i'm thirty i'll have improved even a smidge. i couldn't tackle that mama backpack if my life depended on it. i hope you made yourself something for your birthday! birthdays are special. i'm a firm believer in birthdays.

happy birthday!

MamaJ said...

Happy Birthday!! My 29th was Saturday, the 12th!!! So close together! How neat. Okay, for the cough and all, we went to our health food store and they gave us an "elderberry, propolis and echinacea" blend. And Vitamin C of course. They had it in a syrup for the kids, called Sambucol(?). We've already tried all the regular Dr. stuff and it isn't working! I understand all about the icky mood when you're all sick. It's very draining! I'll pray you guys! Take care.

EllaJac said...

Thank you all for your birthday wishes! I needed them. I'm trying to decide whether I need to forget humility altogether and start asking everyone, "so, what are we going to do for my birthday?" as opposed to feeling hurt when it's forgotten. :) I get over it, of course, but since it tends to bother me every year, I should do SOMETHING about it. And I'm apparently not good at being immune to it. Argh.

While it wasn't specifically "for" my birthday, I did make a diaper-bag-trial. That is, a bag from fabric that isn't my chosen diaper-bag fabric. DOes that make sense? I need to test-drive a few bag types before I decide which I really like for it. I made one, and it's pretty good. Needs some improvements though.

Happy Birthday (late) MamaJ! I'll visit your blog and post my (admiring) opinions of sambucol...