Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sewing Gifts, Part 4

I love these. They're so adorable, and I wish I had some use for little, cute clutch purses like these. I seem to carry around far more than would fit in all of these put together... But anyways. I got the pattern (directions, really) from a new book, Bend the Rules Sewing. I'd run across ideas and reviews of it on various blogs, and bought it from Amazon (again, can't say I recommend that method of purchase). It wasn't what I expected, but it wasn't disappointing either. I think it would be a wonderful book for beginning sewers (hmm... that word just reeks, doesn't it? How about seamstresses?). It's full of good, real-life tips and advice, much of which I learned "the hard way" through years of trial and error! It's also full of fun project ideas that don't necessarily take a huge investment in fabric purchasing. Anyways... I made these "Artsy Clutches" (a little less artsy, of course) as gifts for some friends and family. One tip I've enjoyed is using cotton flannel to 'pad' these instead of interfacing or other more expensive options. The three woven-plaid clutches are lined with cotton prints and a pretty, shiny fabric (I think that's what the label said...). I used old vintage buttons that I inherited from someone at some point. They were beautiful. Have I said that already? I made ribbon-ties for these instead of the elastic-loop showcased on the book's cover. This embroidered-linen-look clutch has a 'boughten' button and is lined with... (ready? It's pretty amazing!) antique japanese silk. How do I know? Am I an antiques expert? A Japanese historian? A silk-trader? Nope, none of the above. (Caution, pointless rabbit trail to follow) For years Gi-gi's neighborhood has included an old Japanese woman (Yoshi) who married an American soldier who was stationed in Okinawa after WWII. I'm not sure how long ago her husband died, but I don't remember him from my childhood. They never had children, and even after her husband died, she tended her rose garden, fed the quail and squirrels and raised Old Glory every morning in her backyard on a flagpole. In fact, that's how Gi-gi knew to check on her last year; the flag wasn't put up one morning. My grandma found her in her bathroom; she'd passed away while getting up to use the bathroom at night. A nephew (from the husband's side) had the job of liquidating the estate on behalf of her relatives in Japan, and among items to be disposed was a box of fabric. Gi-gi isn't too domestic, but she knows I love such things, so she acquired it for me. It is a treasure. There are 2 or 3 hand-sewn kimonos, bundles of silk (with brown paper price tags (?) attached), some stiffer wall-hanging type things, and even a pair of foot 'mittens'. The little cloth shoes over which cute Japanese women wear flip-flops. I can only assume these were sent with a new bride to bring a touch of home to her new land. The wine-colored silk in the clutch, when I unfolded it, showed tiny holes along previous stitch-lines; I wish I could know it's whole story.

As always, I hope the recipients of these gifts were as blessed by these trinkets as I would be.

And if Hubby's work schedule keeps on dwindling, perhaps I'll have to part with some silk...

2 comments:

MamaJ said...

Girl! My sister manages a jewelry boutique in NC. They sell little purses like that for $30-40!! You could make a fortune with your skills!

EllaJac said...

MamaJ; quick, send me your sister's name and number so I can make that fortune before the economy tanks and no one has anything to keep in a purse... :) Hehe! Who knows; maybe I'll make up a few more and see if there's any interest in any local shops. Hmm...