Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sewing Gifts, Part 3

These are "Crayon Rolls." I made these for the girls and they have really enjoyed them. I got the pattern and instructions from Skip to My Lou, and they were perfect. I made one change; instead of using ribbon to tie them up (Little Monkey isn't even thinking about tying yet), I attached some silvery daisy buttons and a length of elastic so it would be easier for little fingers to secure. I found this fabric in the clearance section (of course), and got the pattern in both pink and green, so their respective crayon rolls are opposites in color. Pink outer with green rick-rack for Big Sister, and the other one for Little Monkey. Little Monkey was even inspired to NOT break her crayons while they were kept here! However, my neice (who is even monkey-er) visited on New Year's Eve and did not have the same inspiration. So Little Monkey's crayons fit WAY down into the slots now. If you make this as I did and substitute elastic for the ribbon, be sure to fill the roll with crayons before sewing the button on. It fits entirely differently when it's empty! The girls loved these, and they would be great birthday presents throughout the year for kids. With some alteration, it could be made to fit colored pencils for any artistic person on your list.


1 comment:

sariah said...

Wow! These are VERY cute! And I think rickrack really enhances the fun. I might try this for a great Christmas gift for Heidi. Did you know that our family has 4 birthdays between Dec. 30 and Jan. 25? It makes for an expensive time of year if I don't get real creative!