Friday, May 16, 2008

Last Frost Date

I think this happens every year... I spend a lot of time planning for the garden projects, and nice days working on some of the logistical things, always keeping in the back of my mind that "I can't really plant anything yet..." And then I wake up and realize we're past the middle mark of May and that my mindset is still stuck in "pre-last-frost-date" mode. And then I wear myself out trying to get the garden in while the house goes to pot. This year is shaping up to be the same. :)

I went to the little Mennonite greenhouse down the way today and bought 36 strawberry plants. I've never done them, because I always think next year the garden will be elsewhere, and I want to wait until I have things a little more permanent. Well, the fence (where the garden has always been) has given me that sense of permanence, if not the change of venue, so I bought them. I also got 4 little cherry tomato plants that Hubby requested. And a 'chocolate' green pepper (or brown pepper) that THIS YEAR hopefully won't turn out to be a jalapeno. The girls each picked out some sort of pansy, which they are now afraid to plant for fear of chickens. Hubby really needs to get that last side on the garden fence. Of course, he might need to return home before 9 p.m. to accomplish that, or, you know, stay home on Saturday, but that's not in the foreseeable future. *sigh*

I planted a few pots each of gourds, buttercup squash, crookneck squash, and pumpkin the other day. That pretty much ensures that I won't be saving any seeds for planting next year, unless we want to do an experiment with freaky cross-polinated squash. Which we might.

Well, 90% of today's chores are un-done, and the half-turkey (yes, the other half responsible for the countertop debacle) is taking forever to really cook down into soup. The wife of one of Hubby's coworkers is expecting their fourth (their oldest is three!) and is having a hard pregnancy. I'd like to finish the soup overnight and send Hubby to work with a bunch for them. No bread today, though. :(

1 comment:

MamaJ said...

Aw, I wish I had a little Mennonite greenhouse to go to! I heard someone mention a blueberry farm "near" here, which means about an hour away. Maybe I will go show the kids what food looks like outside the grocery store!