Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sourdough

I did it! I made sourdough starter. Inasmuch as you make it, of course. It kindof makes itself, which is handy.



Sourdough is 'wild' yeast, caught and kept in a flour-batter mix. Used in place of yeast to leaven things. Pancakes can be tastey too.



I followed some directions which said to put 1 c. of whole wheat flour and 1 c. of water (filtered) into a glass container, cover with a dishtowel, and set in a dark corner. The instructions also called for the addition of 1 c. flour and 1 c. water each day for a week before it would be useable.



After five days I wasn't impressed. A neighbor showed me her starter, and how she made it, so I changed things up a bit.



I ignored it for 2 or 3 days.



Lo and behold! the nice bubbles and beer-ish smell were finally there! After that third day, I 'fed' it again (the flour and water) and also added a teeny bit of honey. Yeast loves sweets, after all.



I used it to make some bread, again following a recipe, but am going to have to change it. It rose wonderfully (but FAR slower than with yeast), but the rising time was too much. By the time I checked it, it had risen (the second time) and fallen. I baked it anyway, but again, bake time was too much, and I have some DARN CRISPY sourdough bread. The flavor is good though! To me, anyway. The girls aren't too thrilled about it.


Now, to make some big sourdough bread-bowls for soup or chili! mmMMMmm!

Also, my pet SCOBY is just starting... after a week.

No comments: