Friday, August 10, 2007

Abject Silliness

Ok, I'm not sure what "abject" means or if this is abject silliness, but it must be close. I have never grown up labelling myself as any certain type of Christian. I don't have a problem with those who do, whether Baptist, Presbyterian, Charismatic, whatever. Brace yourself... I don't have a problem with Catholics, or even Mormons. *gasp!* I read mostly New King James or King Jameth versions of the bible, but I don't think the NIV is the work of the devil. I think offenses based on these are all silly distractions from following God. Do I think every Catholic is saved? Nope. There are millions calling themselves Catholic because someone spilled water on them when they were babies, but they have no living, breathing, relationship with Christ. Mormons have some wild doctrines. Really out there. And I know more about it than most non-mormons. But I believe some of them are saved. I've met some.

But on the other side... A lot of Christians aren't, really. I mean they are, on one level. They are "saved". They've had an experience with Jesus and embraced it. Maybe they're even prophesying and speaking in tongues and healing the sick. Remember the parable of the sheep and goats? They came and said, "Lord, lord, didn't we do all this amazing stuff?" What does He answer? "Depart from me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels..." They maybe did all the signs and wonders, but they didn't feed the hungry, visit the sick and imprisoned (in bondage to sin?), etc. This should make us all downright nervous. We spend our time arguing the virtues of one translation of the Bible or another when we should be walking and talking with Him and know His heart when we see it. We disparage this or that denomination over silly stupidities, when we should be living out His Great Commission to the neighborhood and beyond. And they are silly stupidities, I think. "Behold how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." God is three, God is one, tongues are important, tongues are evil, sprinkle or dunk? Blah blah blah. It seems each denomination found itself a 'truth', latched onto it, and built a box around it. God doesn't stay in a box very well. The Early Church perhaps needed some overall organization and standardization, and the Roman Catholic system took the reins of that for a long while. Martin Luther made some darn good points against that system, but so did those who came out of Lutheranism. And so on down the line, mostly.

In This Day, I think the boxes are changing. Changing or dying, maybe. It's kinda sad, but there is so much to rejoice over. Churches all over America are facing falling attendance, failing support and such. What is going on? It's not just one denomination (though some have been dealing with this stuff for a long while), or one race, or demographic. It's like we're all tired of "Sunday Club" and it's just not working anymore. We're doing the same thing we did a year ago, but now there are 12 showing up on Sunday instead of 100. Why? Well, here's my opinion, and I'm no prophet or pastor or teacher... Maybe God's opening up the boxes. Maybe He wants those walls down. Maybe He's tired of it too. Maybe it's time we stop doing the conventional "church thing" just because we're Christians and start shaking the world like they did in Acts. Starting with the neighborhood, perhaps?

What does that look like? I feel like I can look backwards and see what's not working, but I can't even fathom what it might look like instead. I don't know what will work. But I'm sure each of us must completely seek God in the details and start walking those details out. Don't stop going to church, please. I'm not advocating that at all. But stop acting like it's the be-all and end-all of our Christianity. It's not the Roast Beef on the Table prepared before us. Maybe it's the side salad. Or the soup. Ah, perhaps it's the appetizer! It's a start, but it's far from the Main Point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a great post. I agree with you 200%. I have had to deal with this and am in some ways still dealing. When I decided to get right with God again after many of years of fallen away, I was trying to find THE RIGHT CHURCH. I have just recently realized there is no right church. There is no perfect church. Every church I walked into had problems. Thats just life. Thanks for writing this. I needed to hear it.